Saturday, October 22, 2011

The world of make believe

I've been thinking of how children love make believe, and how fortunate I am to be invited into this world now and then throughout the day.

Sometimes it is possible to miss out on the fun when I become overly concerned with routines, and getting through the schedule of the day.

But this past Tuesday, I was glad I let myself play. Matthew (name changed), had his small stuffed chicken at the morning snack table, and mentioned that the chicken was hungry. I was serving cereal, and got a bowl for the chicken, and Matthew quietly smiled, and let me know the chicken was also thirsty, so a glass of water was served to the chicken. The other children went about eating and talking, but the mood of the table seemed to sparkle.

Another time I may have asked Matthew to put his stuffed toy under his chair, and not considered playing along, but I'm glad I did, as the rest of the morning just seemed a little happier, and content.


 







No comments: